Family History Consultants for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are called to this position to help members develop the skills needed to identify their ancestors. One of the ways to do this is meet with your members and provide fun interactive ways to learn about Family History and Temple related topics.
Kathy, another Family History Consultant, and I have decided to have a monthly Family History group called “Family Ties”. We wanted this to be more than just a class on “how to do your genealogy.” So, we decided to have our first meeting as a brainstorming event to decide what topics the others are interested in. Below are just a few of ideas Kathy and I have come up with and I wanted to share them with you. Can you think of topics we did not think of? Please share them with me at the Bellaonline Genealogy Forum. I would love to hear of your ideas and suggestions. Have you had a similar program in your area? Tell me what you did; the pros and cons of it.
As we hold these activities in the upcoming months, I will report back to you on the topics discussed and what we learned from each other. I look forward to your input as well.
Family Ties Topics
- Genealogy Journaling
- Scripture Journaling
- Research Basics-absolute beginners
- Beginning computer skills
- Familysearch Indexing
- PAF or other software programs
- Scrap Booking
- Taking care of heirlooms (antiques, photos, old clothing, etc)
- Old recipes or cooking like our ancestors cooked
- Free family website or family blog
- How to use Photobucket, or similar web program
- Maps, Migration & Immigration
- How to use Google for searching your ancestors
- Serving a Genealogy Mission (this is a calling)
- How to use ancestry.com
- Temple related topics using the new Temple Ready
- How to plan or participate in a family reunion
- Crafts: framing a pedigree or lacy crocheted item, etc.
- Ohana site and their webinars
- Temple Trip with Dinner
- Magazine or Book night on family history
- Talk about the wars (briefly) and how they may help us understand and discover our ancestors
- Genealogy Field trip to local library (Memphis, FHC or TN Genealogical Society)
- How to use other genealogy related sites such as New.Familysearch.org, etc.
Visit Genealogy@Bellaonline.com for more articles by Tina Sansone!